- Buy your foreign currency before you travel overseas.
- Shop around. Banks usually give favourable foreign exchange rates so start with them.
- In some instances the financial institution you bank with may waive the exchange fees for converting currency (exchange fees are either a fixed amount or a small percentage of your amount) so check with them before you convert currency.
- Try and avoid converting currency at airports – airport exchanges usually give less favourable conversion rates.
- You can never be too careful – it’s important to take a mixture of cash, credit and traveller’s cheques.
- If you arrive home with spare cash, wait for a good sell rate before you convert your currency back.